Monday, September 16, 2013

Here for a Bit Longer

I'm not a city girl.

If I could live anywhere it would be on a forested hunk of land about 10 miles from town with a few animals...one of my dreams is to make my own artisan cheese.  Yeah. :)

And yet...
We live in a city with almost 1,000,000 people...not including the hordes of tourists.
Good ole San Francisco.
http://ninjamovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1680974-poster-1280-san-francisco-invents-the-tech-chamber-of-commerce.jpg
Credit
A week ago Jason and I talked about our "5 year plan" and it seems to involve more of this crazy city.  When we first moved here for Jason's grad school I envisioned us peacing out right after he was done.  He has a job though through his university and he's gaining what every potential employer wants...experience.  There are opportunities here for him...and I, that we feel would be foolish to leave behind. So we are staying longer...unless the Lord intervenes.  :)

I am oddly okay with this.  There are days when I want to get out of here, don't get me wrong. 

And then there are days like yesterday.  It was a beautiful, sunny day so I took Jack on a walk.  I made it a couple of blocks and ran into two elderly ladies.  One very Russian lady and one very Chinese lady...with their adorable accents and all.  Of course they wanted to see Jack.  I was just struck with how unique that situation was.  There are some definite issues and prejudices with having so many cultures in one place but these two neighbors overcame that nonsense.  You could tell they were friends.  We talked about Jack and how much we like our neighborhood...and a few other things, and then I said farewell.  In moments like that I think, "Gosh, I love this crazy city."

I'm glad that sometimes I'm uncomfortable.  That there are homeless people, broken and hurting people, different cultures that remind you that there's more to this world then the life YOU live.

Don't get me wrong...I still crave that hunk of land...often.  And yet I feel like this is where the Lord has us for now.  And I'm okay with it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS