Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Our Lenten Season

Happy Ash Wednesday!

Today is the first day of Lent.

Are you abstaining from anything?  Giving anything up?

My answer would usually be ,"Nope!".

Last year Jason and I took part (ahem, I mean attempted to take part in) a fast.  It wasn't even a true fast.  It involved us eating the food that most of the world eats (which is like nothing people) for a week.  In other words living off of $2 a day.  We had a small amount of oatmeal for breakfast, a small bowl of beans and rice for lunch and beans and rice for dinner again.  I FAILED!  I made it through day 4 where I started to have dizziness and so...I threw in the towel.  This year I'm off the hook for participating in something like that since I'm pregnant (wahoo!).

Our church takes the historical church calendar very seriously.  It's funny because I don't think I even realized there was a "church calendar" until I came to City Church.  I love history so...I think it's pretty awesome.  This year Jason and I decided to focus in on the whole Lenten season, rather then do something short like a fast.  It's nothing highly spiritual or revolutionary.  We both will take a moment every morning to read scripture and pray (even if it's just a little).  Jason will be saying "no" to alcohol.  I find this slightly funny because he doesn't really drink much haha.  But he does enjoy his beer when he gets one.  I will be saying "no" to Facebook and Pinterest.  Facebook isn't too big of a deal but I feel like as of late I have been wasting too much time on Pinterest.  That site just sucks you in.  :)

So, here's to a season of intentional reflection, prayer, and renewal.
May we prepare our hearts to understand and believe the great sacrifice of Jesus that is to come.


Being unable to cure death and wretchedness people have decided in order to be happy not to think about such things. 
-Blaise Pascal, Pensees

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS